Flood Safety at Home
There are several hidden dangers that could be overlooked when your home is flooded.
First, to prevent further damage:
•Get pets and children onto higher ground.
•Move valuables up from the basement.
•Raise appliances on blocks.
Electricity is a major safety factor during a flood.
The electricity needs to be turned off.
Do not touch a circuit breaker if you are standing in water or have wet hands. We recommend calling an electrician to shut off your power.
If there is a wire on the ground, assume that it is electrically charged no matter what type of wire it is.
All electronic devices need to be professionally clean to remove sediments and toxins.
Another danger is contamination.
Once the water is out, you need to consider that there could be possible contamination by mud, bacteria from sewage and chemical toxins.
These can all leave a residue that you can’t see with the human eye. Even though porous material has dried, they can still contain contaminants that could create serious health threats.
You should throw away all items that are porous once you inventory them and the insurance company gives the go-ahead.
Mold is a danger that needs to be considered also.
Make sure everything is thoroughly dried out.
After a flood, the following could indicate mold issues:
•Musty or earthy smells
•Textured growth of any color
•Discoloration on your walls or ceilings
If you suspect you have a mold issue, the area will need to be tested for mold.
What can a restoration company do to help you if you have had a flood?
•Clean-up, removal, and repair
•Mold abatement and eradication
•Reconstruction and rebuild
Even if you do not think you live in a flood-prone area, it is important to think through what steps you need to take in case a flood happens.